Mailbox Connectivity Issue after Migration

I had a client call up about an issue with around 10 of their users, my client raised a support call but never got very far after a week. These user had been migrated from Exchange 2010 via Hybrid and were all working until they suddenly could not connect to OWA or Outlook. So I went through the following investigation steps,

  1. Tried to connect to Outlook and OWA from External to the accounts – Failed
  2. Tried to open the mailbox from another account – Failed
  3. Run the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer “Outlook RPC” – Failed with the error 403 unauthorised
  4. Run the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer “Single Sign On” – Success
  5. Run Get-Mailbox and Get-MSOLUser all was brought back fine and looked correct.

It seems to be a very strange issue, it seemed like the Windows Azure AD (WAAD) had lost authorisation to the correlating mailboxes.

To resolve this issue I did the following,

  1. Move the mailboxes back to an on-premises 2010 server. New-MoveRequest -Identity "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. " -Outbound -RemoteTargetDatabase "DB003" -RemoteHostName "outlook.domain.com" -RemoteCredential $cred -TargetDeliveryDomain "domain.com”
    clip_image002 
  2. Removed the Online License from the account.
  3. Removed the MSOL Account from WAAD.(Soft Delete)
    1. First collected all the ObjectID Get-MsolUser –UserPrincipalName “This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ” | FL UserPrincipalName, ObjectID
    2. Removed the accounts. Remove-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    clip_image004
  4. Remove MSOL Account from Recycle Bin (Hard Delete) Remove-MsolUser -ObjectId "1fc8558e-601b-498f-a1d6-7ef8888886fc" -RemoveFromRecycleBin –Force
    clip_image006
  5. Force Directory Synchronisation
    clip_image008
  6. Re-Assigned Online Licenses
    clip_image010
  7. 7. Move the mailboxes back to Online New-MoveRequest -Identity "TestJ" –TargetDeliveryDomain "domain.mail.onmicrosoft.com" -BadItemLimit 100 -RemoteHostName "outlook.domain.com" -remoteCredential $Cred -remote -largeItemLimit 10 –AcceptLargeDataLoss
    clip_image012

Once had all been migrated the mailboxes connected back up perfectly and all was working again.

This may seem like a solution for niche issue, however this should work for any individual mailbox issues which is on Microsoft side instead of your configuration. This solution totally provisions a new Azure AD account and a Mailbox in Exchange Online.

  • 1
  • 2